Toasted Croissant topped with Spinach Leaves
Write a review
- 180 g butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 ml lemon juice
- 4 extra large eggs
- 15 ml vinegar
- 4 croissants, sliced in halve and lightly toasted
- 6 spinach leaves, blanched
To make hollandaise
- Melt the butter.
- Place the egg yolks, lemon juice and melted butter (the heat from the melted butter cooks the yolks) in a food processor.
- Process until thick and creamy.
- Set aside.
To poach an egg
- Half fill a pan with water, bring to the boil and add 15 ml vinegar. (Vinegar is not vital but helps with the egg's appearance -vinegar coagulates the egg white turning it into a perfectly poached egg. The fresher the eggs, the better they poach. An egg straight from the chicken will poach without any need for vinegar.)
- Break the eggs, one by one on a plate or in a bowl.
- Use a spoon and spin the boiling water to slightly cool.
- Slide the egg into the centre of the whirlpool.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until set.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Work quickly to transfer each egg onto a plate, letting excess water drip back into the saucepan.
- Poached eggs should be served as soon as they are removed from the water as they get cold quickly.
- Top the toasted croissant with blanched spinach, a poached egg and spoon hollandaise over.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and serve immediately.
- Top with Parmesan shavings for a piquant taste.
Heidel Eggs - Mpumalanga's leading egg producer https://www.heideleggs.co.za/