Mini Vegetable Quiches
Write a review
- 250 ml (1 cup) cake flour
- 7,5 ml (1½ t) baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 75 ml buttermilk
- A little extra buttermilk if necessary
- 250 ml cream
- 100 ml milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 500 g vegetable mix: beans, carrots and broccoli
- Salt and white pepper (optional)
- Salad leaves, avo and peppadew slivers, to serve (optional)
- Place the ingredients for the pastry in the bowl of an electric mixer or a mixing bowl to make by hand.
- Mix gently until the pastry holds together or mix and knead lightly by hand until dough forms.
- Do not over mix for it will make the pastry tough and less crumbly.
- Grease 12 medium (10 cm diameter) or 20 small (6 cm diameter) loose-bottom fluted tartlet tins or shallow muffin tins wellwith margarine and divide the pastry between the tins.
- Press out the pastry evenly.
- Trim the pastry neatly at the edges, crimping with the fingers or cut away with a sharp knife and blend the cut -off bits into the crust on the base of the pie dish. Refrigerate while the filling is made.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the filling: Beat the cream, milk and egg yolks together. Mix in vegetable mix and season to taste.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Pour into the vegetable mixture and mix well until evenly combined.
- Spoon into the prepared tartlet tins.
- Bake for ±15-20 minutes until golden brown, puffy and set in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve with salad leaves, slices of avo and Peppadew slivers.
- The flavour of these tartlets will improve over time. Store in fridge and serve the day after preparation
Heidel Eggs - Mpumalanga's leading egg producer https://www.heideleggs.co.za/