Custard Layer Cake
Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
Classic sponge cake
- 4 large eggs
- 300 ml (250 g) castor sugar
- 500 ml (2 cups) flour
- 15 ml (3 T) baking powder
- 250 ml (1 cup) full cream milk
- 100 g butter
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 6 egg yolks
- 180 g (¾ cup) castor sugar
- 70 ml corn flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Beat eggs and castor sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into egg and sugar mixture.
- Heat milk and butter, but do not boil.
- Add vanilla essence and stir into batter.
- Spoon into 2 x 20 cm greased cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and remove from oven.
- Whilst the cake layers are still hot, use a cotton thread and “cut” horizontally in halve.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
In the meantime, make the custard filling
- Beat the egg yolks and castor sugar together until light and foamy.
- Sift the corn flour and fold into the egg mixture.
- Heat the milk until just below boiling and add, in a thin stream, to the egg mixture whilst beating constantly.
- Heat over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Stir constantly.
- Remove from heat and beat in the vanilla essence.
- Leave to cool.
To assemble the cake
- Divide custard into 4 portions and use as filling and topping for each cake layer.
- Sprinkle with ground caramel, if desired.
- The cake should be kept in the fridge if not eaten on the day that it was baked.
Heidel Eggs - Mpumalanga's leading egg producer https://www.heideleggs.co.za/