Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
- 8 large eggs
- 525 g (2½ cups) castor sugar
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 500 ml (2 cups) boiling water
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 490 g (3 ½ cups) cake flour
- 30 ml (2 T) baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Juice and grated rind of a large lemon (optional)
- 125 ml (½ cup) soft margarine
- 500-750 ml (2-3 cups) icing sugar
- 10 ml (2 t) vanilla essence
- Food colouring of your choice
- 10 ml (2 t) hot water, if necessary
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy; add the vanilla essence.
- Mix the boiling water and oil together.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the water and flour mixtures alternately to the egg mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour batter into a greased 240 x 320 x 10 mm cake pan or oven roasting pan and bake for 40-35 minutes until done.
- Let cool completely before icing.
To make the icing
- Cream the margarine and icing sugar together.
- Add essence and mix through.
- Add water if icing is too stiff.
- Divide the icing mixture and colour each portion in a different colour.
To make the meringues
- Divide the meringue mixture and colour as desired.
- Pipe onto a baking sheet and bake as per instructions.Decorate cake with prepared icing and meringues as per picture.
Heidel Eggs - Mpumalanga's leading egg producer https://www.heideleggs.co.za/